Sunday, September 9, 2012

Gels are like drugs...let me explain

Alright, I'll be honest here... I've never actually done any drugs before, so the title statement probably isn't accurate.  However, I do know people who have and I have heard what they "experience" and I'm pretty sure I had a similar experience on today's 18miler.

My bff

So I decided to go to church before heading out on this lovely little 18mile adventure.  I figured I'd eat my Cookies'n'Cream PowerBar, go to church, and then go run as to simulate the amount of time I'll be eating my PowerBar before a real race.  Boy, did that work perfectly.

I tried out my *new* Saucony Fastwitch...I know, pretty bold. But, the pink and black that match my uniform were sold out and purple was my grandmother's favorite color, so these are close to my heart now.  Anyway, WOW, were they awesome.  I also wore what I plan to wear for the marathon to truly test out every aspect.

I wasn't expecting to set any records on this run, but I'm pretty sure I finished in my fastest long-run speed ever (besides in a tempo or a race) just based on feel.  The first 5 miles just FLEW by and I left thinking, "I'm almost 1/3 of the way done with this thing!"  I decided to take a gel at mile 10 or 11 because that's where I knew I'd be able to find a garbage can to dispose of the wrapper.  This also happened to be right before my "lake loop" (a 4.4 mile loop around Main Beach/Crystal Lake...my dad's Hillstriders running club does this loop every Tuesday night in the summer, so I grew up LOVING it).

The next four miles got faster and faster.  Every time I'd look at my watch, I did a reality check as I truly did not think I had just split that time.  The gel was making me run so fast that I felt like how people do when they describe being on drugs.  That was the only relatable thing I could come up with then and even now.

My last seven mile splits (after taking the gel) were 7:07, 7:01, 7:01, 6:58, 6:55, 6:48, 6:45.

I'm just going to throw it out there...PowerBar Gels work.  If you need further proof, look below at my splits.

7:34, 7:19, 7:25, 7:22, 7:12, 7:14, 7:24, 7:14, 7:13, 7:09, 7:06, 7:07, 7:01, 7:01, 6:58, 6:55, 6:48, 6:45.

On another note, as I was finishing my "lake loop," I passed by a runner doing the CL 1/2... HUGE shout out to Megan Hode, who ROCKED her 25th birthday by PRing by 6 freaking minutes. What a STUD!:)

No comments: