Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Brick workout recap: turns out I'm ready!

Workout:
2mile warmup
20min tempo run
20min bike at race pace
20min hard run
2mile cooldown

Actual:
2mile warmup
20min tempo run-- 6:18, 6:13, 6:18
20min bike at race pace -- on trainer in hard gear pedaling as if in race
20min hard run -- 6:11, 6:15, 6:15
2mile cooldown

In case you haven't read my other blog posts, it's safe to say tempos are NOT my favorite.  I think a big part of that is because I really have to focus for them and honestly, sometimes when I run I just want to look at the scenery and let my mind go.  When I saw this workout, I moaned.  Okay, I full out freaked out. Turns out, I had nothing to worry about.

My tempo was faster than what it was supposed to be (oops), so I just told myself that my second run would just have to go on feel.  The bike was on the trainer, but I kept picturing myself racing Powerman Alabama the whole time so that I could really keep focus and go "race pace."

The hard run was surprisingly easy.  The Target loop that I do when I'm at Ryan's has a long decline in that beginning mile, so I knew that'd be fast.  It then goes up a longer incline, so I figured this mile would suffer a bit.  Only 4 seconds, so that was nice....considering I looked down at one point and my watch was at 7:04 pace.  My final mile had the back side of the incline, so again I knew it'd be a tad slow, but another 6:15 made me happy!

Overall, Coach Cari was very happy with this workout as well.  I think it shows how ready I am for Hy-Vee.  I told Cari I can't WAIT to do more marathon specific stuff since I am actually seeing that I'm in decent shape again.

After my workout, I lifted with my arms and legs--another key factor in keeping me injury free thus far (minus my own fault of banging my knee on my door frame in April).  Earl (RMS Physical Therapy) has a basic runner strength program and we added a few specific things for me.  Honestly, if you aren't doing strength stuff, GO SEE EARL!!!!! Especially if you are injury prone or even just having some soreness issues.  He's a runner and a triathlete--he knows his stuff.  I can't tell you how many teammates/friends have told me, "Jacqui, I went to see Earl and am running again! Thank you so much for recommending him."  Whether you are an elite athlete or a recreational jogger, if you have ANY type of issue (or just want to better your running!!), Earl will help you get there.

On another note, yesterday (8/14) was a great day-- two of my friends (a cousin and college friend) got engaged! I've been taking notes on good advice I've either received or have found out on my own throughout these past 6 months, so might blog about that soon. We'll see.

Happy hump day everyone!

No comments: