Friday, July 20, 2012

Dreams DO come true

I still feel like I'm dreaming.

Tuesday was pretty much the best day of 2012 so far...obviously October 13th is going to be THE best day, but Tuesday, July 17th is going to be pretty close.

This is the day that I got my teaching job.  Not just any teaching job.  I'll be teaching 7th grade Math at Aptakisic Junior High in Buffalo Grove.  The students at this school go to Stevenson High School.  Yeah, that big awesome high school...that's where my students will go.

To say that I'm excited would be an extreme understatement.  I literally woke up Wednesday morning thinking I had the best dream ever.

The day after Ryan proposed, the first thing I did when I woke up was touched my left ring finger.  His proposal felt too incredible to be true.  But it was.  And so was the phone call on Tuesday letting me know I got the job.  Let me recap it a bit...

Tuesday at about 4:45pm, I received a phone call.  Since I'm a numbers person, I remembered the phone number as the principal and about had a heart attack right then and there.  However, I controlled my emotions and the conversation went something like this...

Principal: Hi Jacqui, how are you?  How has your day been?
Me: Hi! It's been pretty good thanks, how about you?
Principal:  Good, good.  Well, I'm calling about your interviews last week.  The team and I had a tough decision. <It was a very close call between you and another candidate; however, the team ((again, that word)) felt that ((freaking out at this point, holding my breath)) you are the best candidate for the 7th grade Math position.  **jaw hits the floor**
Me: Oh my gosh!
Principal:  So, I can tell you are very excited.  If you need to talk it over, talk to your fiance, that's okay, I just wanted to let you know.
Me: Oh, I definitely accept!
Principal:  Wonderful. We have a new teacher orientation on Thursday if you are able to make it; if not, that's okay too since we are giving you very short notice.
Me:  I'll be there Thursday!

I probably had a few more "oh my gosh's" in there as well, but you get the jist.  I was pretty darn excited.  I still am.  I woke up Wednesday morning and touched my ring finger (I think my brain just remembered doing that last time I thought something wasn't real).

The support I've received from family and friends after finding out about this job (be it via facebook, texting, calling, whatever) has just been incredible.  To know that I have had SO many people believing in me and in my dream to be a teacher just makes me so happy.  Obviously my immediate family and Ryan agree with my belief that I was put on this Earth to teach and help students grow to their potential, but I now see that so many other people believe in that and in me, too.  I am so grateful.

When I posted "(Jacqui Aubert" IS THE NEW 7TH GRADE MATH TEACHER AT APTAKISIC JUNIOR HIGH" on facebook, I knew some of my friends and family and fellow teachers would "like" my status, but never in a million years did I imagine so many people liking it and commenting on it.  That was one of the first things Ryan said to me--"I think more people like your teaching status than when you announced our engagement!" I haven't actually gone back to check that (nor do I plan on doing so), but I truly mean it when I say how blessed I am.

A few posts ago, I wrote about my dad telling my sister that you should be happy if 2 of the 3 things in your life (family/friends, athletics and academics/profession) are going well.  Earlier in May when I banged my knee on the metal door frame (result was 20 days no running), the only thing I thought that was going right for me was having good friends/family in my life.  Now, I'm 3 for 3.  Unreal.

I think the biggest thing I learned from this experience is that there really is a plan for everyone.  While I was crushed when I didn't get the teaching job at my mom's school, in St. Charles, in Barrington, in Cary... look at what I did get.  I am in a school where they are SO technologically advanced it's insane.  Students have iPads, all classrooms have Promethean Boards (smart boards), teachers use blogs and wikis... this district is just incredible.  Yes, I would have been happy in any other district, but getting a job in this district truly makes me have that much more faith in myself.  There are a lot of new things that I'll have to learn; however, I this just further illustrates to me that God has faith in me....He never gives you more than you can handle.

I learned so much at our new teacher orientation.  The district has incredible incentives and ideas for their staff to help them develop into even better teachers.  I might even start a countdown to August 21st, that's how excited I am.

In RUNNING NEWS, this is how my week went...
Monday: easy 7miles
Tuesday: swim workout (hard!), lift (lower body), brick workout..best call ever!!!!!!
Wednesday: 6 miles, lift (upper body), LITH open water swim...4 seconds off of my time last week!
Thursday: 10x600 @3-5k pace....new teacher orientation!
Friday: 6miles, 4x200 barefoot strides, lift (upper/lower), swim (easy)
Saturday: planned 15miles with Joe!

Tuesday, not only did I rock a swim workout (3700m total!), but I had a great brick too.  The hard sets were 2x20min at race pace.  I was able to use a computrainer, which was a nice added bonus.  Then I had a 2mile tempo run followed by 2miles easy.  The tempo pace felt so slow, which is awesome!

Thursday's workout was pretty good, too.  Since I didn't have my Garmin, I had to approximate a 600m area.  Luckily for me, I do my 800s and mile repeats on the same course and would check my watch frequently.  I knew exactly where the 0.35 was, so I just added on a bit to make it a full 0.39.  All of my 600s were between 2:00-2:03, which was perfect based on my 5k time (a little too fast for the 2:00s but oh well).  This workout, I just couldn't wait to finish because I knew that new teacher orientation was next!

Overall, this week has been incredible.  Thank you so much, friends/family/even strangers who read my blog....your belief and faith in me has truly helped me get to this point in my life.  Thank you.  I only hope that I am doing the same for you:)

No comments: