Sunday, April 29, 2012

Make me angry--I run faster that way:)

MONDAY: day off...weird to say that
TUESDAY: 4miles in AM; 45minute tempo in PM
WEDNESDAY: 6miles in AM, swim workout in PM
THURSDAY: 800/400 workout in AM, hard bike in PM
FRIDAY: 6miles easy in AM
SATURDAY: 12.5miles in PM with fiance
SUNDAY: 5k race, $200 richer

Nice Break:
After that 10k on last Sunday, I was wondering if those 13 days that I was forced to take off because of my bronchitis-like symptoms really paid off.  I figured we'd test that theory in workouts this week.  I thought about doing my tempo on Tuesday morning, but just honestly felt like "sleeping in" with Ryan instead. Tuesday evening came around and I REALLY didn't want to run a 45minute tempo. This is why I do workouts in the morning--that way they are over with before I can decide that I don't want to do them!

Tuesday Tempo:
Anyway, Ryan told me he would meet me at LifeTime, so that motivated me to actually go and do my workout.  It was about 20mph winds, so I decided to be smart and run my tempo inside.  I also decided to test my A5's out again to see if I could maybe even do a 10miler in them.  My workout actually went really well.  It wasn't until about 40/41minutes that my legs started feeling a little fatigued (I attribute this to the fact that I took Monday off, something I never do, so my body felt funny and not recovered from Sunday).  I ran just over 7miles for a 6:27 pace per Coach Cari's calculations based on my sickness/comeback from sickness.

Thursday nightmare:
Thursday, the workout was supposed to be 4x800 and 4x400, buuuuut I slept in for 3minutes too long and had to cut a 400 out.  The main goal was to run them all evenly.  My first 800 was a 2:41...yikes...I need to be closer to 2:45.  The next ones went 2:47, 2:48, 2:47, so I was much happier with those.  The 400s were better than expected--1:17, 1:18, 1:17.  I had to do this workout on the "Woodscreek school course" where there is a completely flat 0.3 portion, then a slight incline and slight decline portion, so everything equaled out for the 800s, but the 400s were flat the entire time:)

Then Thursday night rolled around.  I am currently driving two triathletes to their practice and generally only drive when they have their swim/run practice (MWF). Well, I was asked to drive Thursday (biking is Tues/Thurs), so I figured why not--might as well get a workout in too.  I got in a workout alright... I got more than I bargained for.  I made sure to stay far enough in back of the pack of the 7 riders--I'm not confident enough in my or their abilities to not crash!  Anyway, a pretty good cyclist from a local bike shop came to ride with us as well.  He was there to help the kids out, evaluate how they can improve things such as cadence, etc. At mile 25 of the 32mile ride, he came back to try to help me... except that the things he kept telling me to do slowed me down.  Eventually, I could barely see the pack.  He left me to ride back with them, and I was left on my own.

I should probably stop here and say that I am horrible with directions.  If you get me somewhere once, I can find my way there again, but if you tell me "go to this road, make a left, go 7 blocks turn right, etc.," chances are, I'll get lost.  So, I stopped and asked for directions.  Luckily, the park where we started from had three GIANT water slides and football and soccer fields, so I described the park to the guy mowing his lawn and he told me how to get back--"a left when this road ends, a right when the next road ends, another left when that road ends and it's 1.5miles from there."  Sounded like it would be easy enough.  Except that the park I ended up at was a playground with baseball fields.  Not quite what I thought I had described.  So, practically in tears at this point, I asked one of the baseball coaches how to get to the park I described.  He told me to go up to the light, make a left and follow it about 2 miles down.  Just what I needed--another 2 miles of riding:(

Luckily, this guy knew what he was talking about and I found my way back.  I felt HORRIBLE for the two kids I drive because they had to run barefoot (the kids run a few miles after biking) and then wait around for me as I  had the car keys.  From now on, I'm bringing my phone with on group rides!!!

Sunday's 5k:
Annnnnd finally, today's 5k recap. Ryan had found a race with prize money, so we decided to do it.  I had a 5k on my schedule anyway, so it worked out.  We showed up about 45minutes ahead of time, do some warming up, see that two parts of the course (it's a double loop) are on grass, and then Ryan and lil bro Alex throw around the baseball waiting for the race to begin.  Ryan saw some good competition for him (two Naperville guys) and me (Saucony and PowerBar teammate Kate) and we both hope we can still have good days.  The gun goes off and Ryan and the two guys go FLYING.  A little girl (8th grade) goes with him--SERIOUSLY? I'm not too worried--I know she's going to fade back.  It takes about 1/2 of a mile for her to realize she went out wayyyy too hard and she falls back.  Kate hasn't been running too much (structured anyway) since the Trials, just gradually getting back into things, so I made sure to get a gap right away just in case.  I went through the first mile in 5:30, thinking that COULDN'T be right.  My watch beeped, indicating the first mile was actually 5:45. Phew.

Then we came to the hill--we had to do this hill on both laps and literally heard EVERY person who finished the race complain about it.  It definitely slowed me down, but today wasn't a "go for a PR day," so I was okay with just staying under 6minute miles.  My second mile was 5:54 and third was 5:53.  I knew breaking 18 was still attainable with about a half mile to go, but remembered the hill and decided that I know what kind of shape I'm in--I'd rather not kill myself trying to break 18 on this hard course, and save something for next week.  I finished in 18:18, 4th place overall.

Ryan hung tight with these two Naperville guys for more than half the race, but they just broke off and he couldn't hold on--I'm thinking they probably didn't stand on their feet working for PowerBar from 7am-3pm and then go run 12.5 miles.  Ryan still won $50, but donated it to the race as that's how good of a person he is.  After the race, we went out to breakfast (!!!) before heading out to ride 2 hours (me) or 4 hours (Ryan).

I should probably mention that I was PRETTY MAD going into this race.  Something really not good happened on Friday, something out of my control.  Instead of getting upset over something I can't control, I decided to channel my anger toward my next race (after being an emotional eater and having Tortilla Chips, cookie dough, candy and potato chips to the point of wanting to throw up).  I guess it worked out :)

Overall, a great day.  Here's to hoping next Sunday is just as great!

SHOUT OUTS:
Julie Ralston for placing THIRD at the Illinois marathon in 2:56 (almost 2nd place!!)
Matt Villicana for crushing the course in a 2:52 (next year I'll be there to run it with you:))
Rich Calvario for representing the alums in a 2:47!
DPFT runners for smoking the Lakefront 10miler on Saturday (SO many of you to list!)

No comments: