Thursday, February 21, 2013

SOLD. OUT. BAM!

I've been meaning to blog for some time now, but you know what's weird about "rest" weeks?  They seem to be busier than non-rest weeks.

This past Sunday ended week 3 of 3 hard weeks.  And I mean hard weeks.  Imagine this:

Long hard bike Sunday (3+ hours), bike workout Monday, swim and run workout Tuesday, bike workout Wednesday, swim and run workout Thursday, easy run and swim Friday, long with fartlek/tempo run Saturday.  Oh and two days of strength and core thrown in there somewhere.

I am a "Run Lead" at the Vernon Hills LifeTime Fitness every Thursday night.  Last Thursday, two of my favorite run club members had to ask me if I was okay because I looked so out of it!

This is, by far, the most intense training I have ever done.  Even when I was running injury free at a D1 college, I don't think I became nearly as exhausted as I do with this program.  That being said, Ryan and I fully took advantage of this rest week.

We stopped being super anal about our calorie intake and even allowed ourselves TWO splurge days (one was for my dad's birthday....you can't just go to Piece Pizza in Chicago and stare at the giant pizzas).

Oh, and on top of all of this.....OUR RACE SOLD OUT!



Yep, that's right. The 2013 Egg Shell Shuffle 1/2 marathon and 5k is SOLD OUT, folks. We sold out last year, but only 4 days before the race.  This year, we sold out SIX WEEKS in advance...and Easter comes even earlier this year!  Ryan and I seriously could not believe it and are so unbelievably thankful for our wonderful friends and family who have spread the word about our race and helped it grow to what it is now.

As only a third year race, we didn't anticipate so many "can I still register?" questions.  Granted, I have personally been one of those people that email the race director, but for some reason we didn't expect so many people still wanting to get in the race!

SO, we are super excited to announce that we are going to open 20 "Charity Slots."  Basically, runners who still want to run the race will pay $100 for entry into either race.  100% of this $100 will go directly toward JDRF (our charity we benefit).  If all 20 slots sell, we have just raised $2,000 for JDRF.  Seriously, how great of a feeling would that be?

In any case, we are extremely thankful for all of the support we have received from friends, family and strangers in putting on this race.  Can't wait to see everyone come race day!!!

No comments: